Crochet checkers board set pattern & instructions
I made this for our Advent Basket this year. It was an idea I got from a woven checkers set with plastic pieces that is at our local library. Everly loved playing with it at the library and I knew it would be an easy thing to crochet. Here is how it was done:
- Chain 64 stitches in your chosen color. This portion will be part of the checker board border so choose what color you’d like the board bordered in for the chaining. I used black for mine.
- Turn, change colors and double crochet 8 stitches, change colors then double crochet 8 more stitches… repeat the changing of colors at total of 4 times until you have a total of 8 blocks (each block is 8 double crochet stitches, their will be 8 blocks of alternating colors).
- Repeat step 2 for a total of 5 rows. Each color block will be 8 stitches across and 5 rows from top to bottom.
- Now reverse your color order, and repeat step 2 above with opposite colors from the previous row.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until you have 8 rows of color blocks top to bottom and 8 blocks of alternating colors from side to side.
For the checker pieces, I did two rounds of double crochet stitches for each game piece. I let Everly sew some beads on some for her own fun. There is a total of 24 checker pieces for the game, 12 in each color.
Here is the finished product in play: