We toured The Farm and are super pleased! · Ryder Family Farm- Southern Illinois
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-2124,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-1.5.1,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_width_290,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_from_right,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.7.4,vc_responsive

We toured The Farm and are super pleased!

We toured The Farm and are super pleased!

Well, we visited The Farm on Saturday and were super pleased with our midwife Pamela. It was pouring the whole way from Indiana to Tennessee and the drive was long but we made it safely in one piece and were super glad we decided to take the trip.

Pamela spent over 2 hours with us discussing policies and options. We talked about my health, the progress of the pregnancy, took my stats and she even did an internal examination of my pelvic structure. All went really well!

Shoot I even gained another pound and a half between Thursday and Saturday, I weighed in at almost 112! My blood pressure was normal (100/60) and she agrees that my weight gain of about 12 pounds over the course of 16 weeks of pregnancy is great for my body type and is also normal in pregnancy.

I told her about how upset my OBGYN made me about the weight thing. She said that my OBGYN was most likely just commenting on my weight without taking my body type and personal history in to account. Besides, she agreed with the info in my book that says 14 pounds weight gain is typically the average gain for the end of the 2nd trimester. She also noted that those numbers are only averages and that typically smaller women gain more.

We talked about lots of diet and nutrition stuff, got many pointers on what I need to eat and why. I even asked her about the possibility of “being too small” for a natural birth. She did an internal exam to see how wide and deep my pelvis was and confirmed that I had ample room to birth a baby naturally.

Apparently the visible size of our hips and pelvis from the outside does not indicate the size of the pelvis cavities internally. She even had a pelvis (one of those educational skeleton thingies) to show me and she went over all the measurements of mine compared to the pelvis she was showing me.

We talked about potential complications in natural birth that usually warrant a c-section, things like breach positioning, the shoulders getting stuck or multiple births. She assured me that they have delivered babies in all these situations naturally and that it is no challenge for them, since I am already in their care.

I guess they do turn people away who show up months before delivery wanting a more complicated natural birth (VBAC, breach or multiples) at The Farm who have not gone through prenatal care with them. They are very particular about prenatal care, they want you to have proper attention during pregnancy (even if it is though your local doctor) and they want to thoroughly assess all your risk factors before agreeing to do a natural birth with you. It is not all about making money for them, the want to do what is safest for you and your baby so that means turning people away sometimes.

We also learned that Pamela has EMT training and that all the midwives in the area also participate in the hospitals neonatal intensive care unit training course as a means to further their education. The Farm also has LPN’s and RN’s on staff to, that was a fun tidbit of info for us.

Also, CPM’s are legal in Tennessee and The Farm midwives have a great working relationship with staff at the regional hospital so in the case of emergency (or if the mom simply requests it) there is no hesitation in transporting to the hospital to finish the delivery.

We toured a birthing cabin despite the pouring rain and learned that each room is equip with oxygen, baby warmers and all the essentials. They’ll even analyze my child’s cord blood after delivery to determine if the RhoGam shot is even necessary (which they also have on site to administer.

Both N and I were super pleased with Pamela and are sure birthing at The Farm is right for us. We aren’t required to travel down for anymore prenatal appointments but we are welcome to if we want and are able to work it in to the schedule.

They are working with us to make things convenient with regards to how far we live from The Farm. Pamela will be chatting with us once a month by phone following each prenatal appointment with our local doctor to get updates on the progress of the pregnancy.

We are also forwarding my prenatal charts from the OBGYN to Pamela so she has all the most up to date info on my health and the pregnancy developments. It looks like birthing at The Farm is the direction we are going, for sure and we are so relieved! It really is the best of 2 worlds for us and our birthing needs!

• melissa bridge

I’m really glad you found a place that will meet your needs and make you feel comfortable.It helps to have good support by people you trust while in labor.It’s going to be the best day of your life, so fasten your seatbelt 🙂 It’s going to happen so fast and will be overwhelming but when you get to hold your newborn for the 1st time, it’s the greatest feeling on earth. I can’t wait to find out what gender Tater Tot is.

January 12, 2009 at 3:08 pm
  • That is so awesome! I think it would be so neat to birth at The Farm. You will definitely have to keep us updated on your progress & experiences there.

January 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm
  • I’m so happy that you have found the Farm to be a comfortable and supportive place for you to birth your baby.
    It’s so important to be with people you can trust.

I’m really excited for you but also to be able to travel with you…I’m loving hearing all the updates.

tiffs last blog post..Weekly Winners.

January 12, 2009 at 5:27 pm
  • The Farm sounds like a fabulous place. I’m just curious, but will your insurance pay for any part of the delivery, like supplies and the RhoGam shot if you need it?

Donna B.s last blog post..Six Non-Important Things About Me

January 12, 2009 at 5:42 pm
  • I’m so glad everything is working out like you want!

January 12, 2009 at 8:53 pm
  • I’m so excited that you found what you’re looking for! So, you stay there for a month before you deliver? Will N be able to get that much time off of work? I don’t mean to be nosy, I’m just curious how this works because I know its a pretty long drive for you. I have my fingers crossed that this all works out for you:)

Beckys last blog post..Beautifully Obscene

January 12, 2009 at 9:46 pm
  • Oh, this all sounds wonderful! I’m glad you seem so pleased with The Farm! Sounds like the right thing to do. 🙂

January 12, 2009 at 11:11 pm
  • I’m glad that you had a safe and wonderful trip out to Summertown!! It’s amazing, huh!!! Another great thing about being out there in the summer is the swimming hole. Bring a nice prego suit and enjoy that fresh water.

We have our appointment on Wednesday with Pamela. 36 weeks and getting ever so close.

Did you get my message about my in-laws being in town? I wish I could have met up. Next time, though.

Kari Jenkinss last blog post..Mama Bear

January 13, 2009 at 1:55 am
  • That’s great how that will work out! I was just really curious about the whole process. Thanks so much for explaining it to me:)

Beckys last blog post..Beautifully Obscene

January 13, 2009 at 10:33 am
  • It was a really great trip. Pamela was so comforting and warm. I think the experience will far outweigh the costs.

January 13, 2009 at 11:51 am
  • It is so interesting to watch you guys go threw this with such a different perspective then I had on my delivery. Maybe because I have seen soooo many deliveries prior to having my first I didnt have any desire for a birth plan, natural childbirth, or anything like that. I felt that I saw too many times that that childbirth can be “romanticized” for lack of a better word. My view on “natural childbirth” was that when I got to the hospital I would let myself see how I felt before I requested drugs. As it turned out with Shawn I didnt need any. So, it is very interesting to see someone I love so much with such a different perspective and desire. You know whatever you and N end up deciding I support you. Because I know you will not make your decisions without really investigating the options available. I love reading about all of this. Most of all…I LOVE YOU! XOXOXO

January 13, 2009 at 1:54 pm
  • Judith

hi againb: I have house chores I’m avoiding and your blog is fascinating to me!

let me say a few wordws to reassure you abuot being a smaller woman seeking a natural childbirth. I;m not huge myself but you sound smaller than I am. my fairy godmother, Roslyn, is tiy. a pino teacher for most of ehr life, she had fur girls in the 15 years between when she was 26 and when she was 41. Roas stands abuot 5 feet eight if that now, and probably never weighed nnety pounds. each of her babies was born after an easy TWO HOUR LABOR, weighing betweeen 6 and 7 pounds. all were healthy from the get-go. Ros is still with us at age 91.

most small women had small thers, and upuntil fairly recently “natural childborth” was the only kind of childbirth there was. evolution would have ruled out smaller women brthing successfully back before medical intervention.

you’ll do great, I’m sure. there is a prejudice against small peopole in ur society. don’t listen to it.

January 19, 2009 at 1:18 pm
  • I am fascinated about the Farm and it is so great that “I know someone” from our area who is doing this. You will be a role model that it IS a very real option for families in our area. Now you can gestate in peace..and pooey on that ob!

January 20, 2009 at 11:22 am