A mothers dilemma: Keep sleeping or wash off the sour milk? · Ryder Family Farm- Southern Illinois
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-3589,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-1.5.1,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_width_290,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_from_right,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.7.4,vc_responsive

A mothers dilemma: Keep sleeping or wash off the sour milk?

A mothers dilemma: Keep sleeping or wash off the sour milk?

I know this is just one of the many dilemmas I’ll have to face as a parent. This one is significant because it’s the first one, you know a milestone. So humor me okay?

Babies vomit. Mine in particular loves to be at the breast 24/7 which inevitably leads to overeating, which in turn results in an overly full stomach and projectile vomiting. Awesome!

She’s shot vomit everywhere exactly 3 times. Once from her swing on to the floor. Once while cuddling me in bed, it went right down my shirt, arm and all over my side of the bed. Then this morning we were both back asleep after a long early morning feeding when she began to quietly fuss…

Half asleep I was verbally consoling her but had my back to her. She’ll calm down after hearing “you’re okay” or “shhhh, it’s okay”. So, I am consoling her and an explosion of vomit hits my back, my hair and once again soaks my side of them bed.

I shot up, wiped her face, arm and the bed. Made sure she wasn’t choking on vomit. Then I stood there looking like “someone killed my puppy” as N put it while I pondered my next move.

Did I want to lay some receiving blankets down over the wet vomit spot, wipe myself off and lay back down to sleep for a few more hours or was it shower time?

There was warm sour milk dripping from my mop of crazy hair, down my back and also from my left arm. Keep in mind she did this same thing to me the day before and I’ve becoming increasingly sensitive to the sent of sour milk on myself now.

After several seconds of deliberation I choose to shower off and wash the sour milk from my hair. If it hadn’t soaked my hair I so would have opted for sleeping some more but having baby vomit in my hair was just too much for me to ignore, this time.

So, I headed off to the shower at like 5am and thought to myself… “Pretty soon sour milk in the hair will be something I am used to living with, I am just not there YET!”

• Hahahahaha! That is priceless! I remember those moments all too well. And believe me, after awhile, you will choose sleep πŸ™‚

July 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm
  • Oh, yes, baby puke. Good times…
    .-= witchypoo´s last blog ..Mocking my Dead Mother =-.

July 13, 2009 at 9:21 pm
  • my oldest did the projectile thing at a theater. I was burping her and she exploded all over the guy behind me. He WAS watching the movie in the complete darkness and was NOT happy when a warm sticky substance hit him unexpectedly! Everly should grow out of this stage soon.
    .-= maiden53´s last blog ..Smores Night =-.

July 13, 2009 at 10:41 pm
  • I remember after I had Aidan, I didnt shower for almost a week. I was so tired. I lived off of “spit” baths.

Now I have learned to shower in like 5 seconds flat!
    .-= Krystal McCarthy´s last blog ..Being Me =-.

July 14, 2009 at 12:04 am
  • I remember those days with Amy. I used to lay blankets down and keep wipes handy.
    .-= Veronica´s last blog ..There are words =-.

July 14, 2009 at 12:53 am
  • Does she burp well after nursing? Our newest model is a 3 burper. No matter what, even if she falls asleep at the breast I ALWAYS have to burp her, she burps 3 times. If I don’t let her burp, she will eventually spit it all (shoot it all) out, and be misserable…so will I. My point is, in all my rambling, make sure you are burping her well! It made a world of difference…for us anyway!
    .-= Bess´s last blog ..Southern Hot Rolls =-.

July 14, 2009 at 7:59 am
  • It was a particularly funny moment that morning! I was opting for continuing to sleep while Everly was sleeping but I could tell you just weren’t going to be able to stand your sour milk soaked hair. We dozed, you bathed and everyone was happy again πŸ™‚
    .-= N´s last blog ..Our birth story continued =-.

July 14, 2009 at 10:14 am
  • I’d be thinking of a way to position her after feeding with the mouth angled toward N.

Sorry N πŸ™‚
    .-= Donna B.´s last blog ..I’m Back =-.

July 14, 2009 at 1:16 pm
  • hahahahaha Donna B!!!!

We used to go through a dozen burp cloths a day. Some nights I’d have to wash a load before bed, knowing there’d be all kinds of wet, juicyness between then and morning!!

Good times.
    .-= Hyphen Mama´s last blog ..Good grief where do the days go? =-.

July 14, 2009 at 7:51 pm
  • Wow! I could have written this as that happened to me yesterday with Jaydon around 6:30 am. Thankfully didn’t get in my hair though. LOL πŸ™‚
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Feeling like I am treading water…. =-.

July 15, 2009 at 7:00 pm