Blog for Choice Day, 2009 · Ryder Family Farm- Southern Illinois
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-2342,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-1.5.1,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_width_290,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_from_right,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.7.4,vc_responsive

Blog for Choice Day, 2009

Blog for Choice Day, 2009

Did you know that today, January 22nd 2009, is the 36th anniversary of Roe v. Wade? I am sure you already know that I am pro-choice big time, since I blogged for choice last year and all.

I don’t think I’ll ever have an abortion but that doesn’t mean I’ll let anyone take my right away. Besides I am just not of the belief that government needs to be ruling on what we are and are not allowed to do with our bodies.

Each of us should be free to decide what is best for us and our current situation. It is all a freedom thing you know. With freedom comes the need for informed decision. Just because someone chooses something that you feel is wrong doesn’t mean we should take the right to choose away.

I don’t like women who use abortion as a means for birth control, I personally do not agree with it and it makes me sick. Those people need to be taught better morals and better self control not refused the right to have an abortion. I am not going to rant on and on about this though. I know where President Barack Obama stands on choice and abortion. If you need a refresher here is a video:

Today’s Blog for Choice question is: What is your top pro-choice hope for President Obama and/or the new Congress ?

I hope that our administration can get away from using the law to force us in to doing what one group views as not being for our own good. Now that is wishing huh? I also hope we can reform the health care/ insurance industries so that they are all inclusive and are a benifit to everyone not just a manipulation and money making device.

Seriously a woman’s right to choose goes beyond abortion and the pill. Women should have access to and insurance coverage for ANY type of family planning/ birth control method she chooses. I don’t just mean birth control either. Insurance should cover birth control but it should also cover all types of family planning and birth control methods including FAM (fertility awareness method) and NFP (natural family planning).

To me a woman’s right to choose also encompasses birthing rights, how can states outlaw midwives and force women to birth in hospitals? That just goes back to how the health care/ insurance industries have an unfair monopoly and are acting unethically but that is a rant for another day.

So there you have it those are my pro-choice wishes for the new administration. What are yours?

• Opening a can of worms, you are! My sound card is kaplooey, so I can’t view the video. I have fairly delineated my views before:

No one, not me, not you, nor anyone else has the right or a reason to interpret anyone else’s point of view regarding abortion, except when it happens after viability of the infant.

Viability may be debated, but when the infant shows signs of life separate from mechanical and medical interference, it is a viable human, thus commanding rights separate of those of the mother.

This has nothing to do with my personal view of abortion — I could not have one. That is my choice as much as it is another’s choice to have one. I don’t understand it, but I can’t quite condemn it.

Personally, I’d rather that birth control methods be more acceptable. As I understand it, the only truly reasonable methods of preventing contraception are condoms and diaphragms — preventing the interaction of sperm and egg. Birth control pills, IUDs, and RU486 prevent implantation of a fertilized egg.

Abortion prevents development of a fertilized and implanted egg, ie, an embryo.

I am not sure how I stand as for or against such endings of pregnancy. Hopefully, most will use methods that prevent conception or implantation.

Somewhere between implantation and viability there obtains the fact of human reality. I don’t know where it is, and neither does science.

Err on whichever side you choose.

Donna B.s last blog post..Our Personal “Dog Whisperer”

January 22, 2009 at 3:05 am
  • Hi!
    I wish what you wish will be coming true.
    See you around.

lunaticgs last blog post..AJMIR Sdn Bhd Money Changer, Jalan Tun H.S Lee

January 22, 2009 at 7:07 pm
  • My biggest wish, other than the obvious – that others will stop trying to control our bodies – is that something is done to prevent pharmacists with their own agenda from refusing to fill birth control prescriptions.

How is that for a run-on sentence?

Rees last blog post..Oh Mah Holy Hell, Y’all

January 22, 2009 at 9:28 pm
  • A former prime minister in this great country of mine once said that the government has no business in the bedrooms of its citizens. I heartily agree, and by extension, it has no business what we do with our bodies.

witchypoos last blog post..Grace The Tooth

January 22, 2009 at 9:39 pm
  • My wish is that people won’t have to chose between health care and medications or paying the electric bill.

I also don’t want anyone to be able to tell me what I can or can not do with my body.

I had to fight my insurance company to pay for my birth control pills. I take them to regulate my periods and to make them more manageable. I had to have my doctor provide all kinds of documents to verify that. In the end, they are paying for it. It blows my mind they don’t want to pay for birth control, but they’ll cover a pregnancy, well child visits and etc…..

Beckys last blog post..A Day to Remember

January 22, 2009 at 10:29 pm
  • Very very well written!! hope you and N are well!! and man..I have to check in more often…you’re already in the 2nd trimester??? Sending good thoughts (and warm sunshine!) xo

January 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm
  • Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Hyphen Mamas last blog post..Let the chaos commence!

January 23, 2009 at 12:02 am
  • I hope that we can finally begin to put this issue to rest and get the government out of places it shouldn’t be.

Jenn @ Juggling Lifes last blog post..In Which I Pick A Winner And Say Thank You

January 23, 2009 at 12:20 am
  • Im pro choice too.
    My stand on it is: You can’t judge her tell you’ve walked in her shoes.
    I also agree that choice as to do with birth control and health care.
    It also takes a support group. The carring mother needs to know that the poeple around her love and support her in watever decision she has to make.

January 23, 2009 at 3:34 am
  • Could you switch my linsky luv? My URL wont show up any more:(

January 23, 2009 at 3:35 am
  • CincyAnn

I find it totally ironic that on the same page that you tout women’s right to choose, you also have a widget celebrating your unborn baby’s development. So, while celebrating the beautiful life inside you, you simultaneously celebrate the “right” of women to kill that life whenever they want.

The problem with the choice argument is that it totally ignores the baby’s right to life.

It’s kinda funny that everyone with the freedom to be pro-choice in this country are already born.

January 23, 2009 at 11:14 am
  • My hope is that healthcare, as whole, will be affordable and accessible to everyone. I will never understand why or how insurance companies deny people healthcare (especially those who need it most). A friend of mine fought cancer in her twenties, and now can no longer find anyone willing to insure her.

Momisodess last blog post..What’s Mine Is NOT Yours

January 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm
  • I could not have an abortion myself, either. I had a child when I was young that was given up for adoption. I know for a fact that I would chose to have the baby instead of having an abortion, because I have been in that situation. But, not everyone has. You truly don’t know what you will or will not do until you are the person having to make the decision.

What I do beleive is that each woman has the right to make that decision for herself. No other person, who is not affected by her decision, has the right to tell her what to do. It is her body, her life, her choice. Even if I do not agree with her choice, she has the right to it.

All the people in the world who fight against abortion and or birth control, don’t offer to help financially support the woman who can not afford to feed another child. They don’t offer to adopt the unwanted child, who will strain the sanity of the overwhelmed mother and put the child at risk of being abused. They don’t offer counseling to the the one who does decide to give up their child. Let me say it again: If you are not affected by the choice, then you have no right to deny that choice. Every woman is different, and her reasons for having an abortion or not are different.

Karens last blog post..Going To Parker Arizona