Googlechondriac: The first step is admitting there is a problem right? · Ryder Family Farm- Southern Illinois
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-3792,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-1.5.1,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_width_290,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_from_right,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.7.4,vc_responsive

Googlechondriac: The first step is admitting there is a problem right?

Googlechondriac: The first step is admitting there is a problem right?

You know those people who Google symptoms and are always obsessing and thinking they have some gawd awful sickness? You know hypochondriacs…

Well I have that problem but only I am not obsessing about my own possible illnesses I am obsessing about Everly…

What? Her poop is yellowish green instead of just mustardy yellow? Google that and… Oh no it’s a hindmilk/ foremilk imbalance.

She’s pulling her legs up and fussing? She’s got gas or a dairy allergy!

Her eye is goopy and pussy sometimes, is it pink eye? Squirt some breastmilk in it!

She sprayed milk out her nose once while fast asleep? Could it be sleep apnea or SIDS?

Parents worry, I know that but do they worry as much as I do and obsessivly search the internet for clues and cures? I am beginning to think this “Doctor Google” thing is getting outta hand.

Franky the “cures” and anxiety from thinking something is always wrong with her is the only real thing causing us problems here. She’s not colicky, doesn’t have sleep apnea, pink eye, a dairy allergy or a brestmilk imbalance. She’s just got a paranoid, freaking-out-over-every-little-thing-mom.

I can’t help it though, I am freaked something is going to end up being wrong with her and I will miss it. Don’t even get me started on the Swine Flu either!

Googleing symptoms obsessively is a sickness in it’s self. Hasn’t anyone coined a name for this obsession yet? Better go Google it!

Crap! There is such a thing as Dr. Google! Good thing it is something entirely different than what I am talking about. I’d be really screwed then…

Anyway, I’ve decided I need to be called a Googlechondriac! You know a hypochondriac but an obsessive internet symptom searching, self diagnosing one. Do they make a prescription drug for that?

So, are you guilty of being a Googlechondriac or am I alone here?

• I didn’t have anything but the classic Dr. Spock book and my experiences with a brother who is 12 yrs younger than me to help me through the unknown. Too bad our kids do not come with a manual! You will relax soon 🙂 I would call it “First-time baby Anxiety”. It will pass soon… enjoy her NOW because she will be going on her first date before you know it! It really DOES go by so very very fast! You and N are a real working team and E has two great people looking out for her.
    .-= maiden53´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday-For Real =-.

August 17, 2009 at 2:06 am
  • My sister had a book on diseases -when my dad got a midnite call that she was sure the boys had malaria – he went down the next day and took his book back.
    .-= traci´s last blog ..Diary Update =-.

August 17, 2009 at 6:07 am
  • Yep. I’ve got it. I find good stuff, too…like why does my dog eat his poop? what are these bites all over my back? (spider!) who is that 70’s child star now on 10 Things I Hate About You (the abc family show)… it’s a Cassidy boy. Go figure.

Do you suppose there’s a Googlaholics Anonymous?
    .-= Hyphen Mama´s last blog ..Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll =-.

August 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm
  • When I was in school, I was convinced I had every disease I learned about. The internet can be a great thing, but it can also provide some misleading information. Just listen to your gut.

And your back starts to feel better soon!!
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..We Don’t Need No Education =-.

August 17, 2009 at 5:02 pm
  • I’m going to switch to Bing. Then I can say after having search too much that I have binged.
    .-= Donna B.´s last blog ..Complexity For Complexity’s Sake =-.

August 17, 2009 at 5:15 pm
  • LOVE it. I totally have that. Except I google everyone, not just my kid.

I often wonder what my life would be like without google.
    .-= Smartassmom´s last blog ..The Party. (Also, the longest post ever but there are lots of pictures so it’s not too boring). =-.

August 17, 2009 at 5:23 pm
  • This one made me smile not only because I wrote about newly coined words today but also because I know I could get my medical degree in a jiffy:) I am such a googlechondriac I always find weird rare diseases though. Nothing is ever simple about parenting.
    .-= CEOmum´s last blog ..New Words =-.

August 17, 2009 at 9:12 pm
  • melissa

I think all mom’s freak out about their children and worry non stop about them. It’s just a natural thing that comes along with being a mom,lol. Even though Riley is my 2nd, I still find myself freaking out and worry about stuff. I hate when the kids get fevers and I get so worried. I mean I know what to do when that happens but it doesn’t stop me from feeling scared. I have googled alot of wierd crap too. At least you are educated in different illnesses now,lol 🙂

August 18, 2009 at 10:10 am
  • You are not alone. My hubby is a googlechondriac too. Plus it is just part of being a mom to obsess about your kids!

And I have to ask, did you really squirt breastmilk in Everly’s eye? 🙂
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Gotta love those Florida Gators! =-.

August 18, 2009 at 12:53 pm
  • I was worse than you when mine were babies, but I didn’t have no steenkin Google back then.
    .-= witchypoo´s last blog ..Hurricane Bill =-.

August 21, 2009 at 3:49 pm