Harvest of Daily Life | Don't pour bleach on bunny pee! (or any pee for that matter)
single,single-post,postid-526,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-1.3,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_width_290,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_from_right,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.4.4,vc_responsive

Don't pour bleach on bunny pee! (or any pee for that matter)

Don't pour bleach on bunny pee! (or any pee for that matter)

Ugh, my nose is burning and it’s cause I had a temporary moment of stupidity. We are moving in 15 days and I have an ongoing list of crap to accomplish. Today it was sweeping/ cleaning the wood floors and cleaning bunny’s cage/ mess. Oh and I was supposed to find the Nissian repair book so we can see how to remove the alternator from the car.

I didn’t get around to taking care of bunny till after dinner. I made meatloaf for the first time tonight and it turned out good, then I was unusually tired and achy so I procrastinated some more and watched TV. When N headed back to work I forced myself to take care of bunny’s mess before I took a bath.

We put “potty pads” down under bunny’s cage because she like to shoot pee all over the place despite the fact that we bought her a special anti-spray litter pan. So I moved the cage and rolled up the urine soaked “potty pads”. A bit of pee leaked on to the tile/ grout and I didn’t want it to smell or stain so I grabbed the nearest cleaner and some paper towels….

I poured about a teaspoon of bleach on the grout, it began to foam and bubble. I knew I had made a mistake. Bleach and ammonia are NOT a safe combination! Anyway my eyes began to water, the nose started to burn and I was trying to wipe up the bleach quickly so the chemical reaction would stop.

My nose still burns but I am in bed now, tippy typing away. We have a snow day tomorrow, which is good cause I feel “off” right now and am not sure why… probably from inhaling toxic chemicals huh?

The morale of the story is don’t clean the litter box, bunny cage or anything that has urine in it with a bleach product, it’s very bad news! Your respiratory system will NOT like you! It will hate you very much and you will want to die, the end.

• For any organic stains or ordors, you should try “Nature’s Miracle”. I get it at Olsen’s Feed. We got brand new carpets last Nov. Our dog came in after feasting in the horse corral and let it loose on my new carpet….. this stuff took it all out! I hope your sinuses are feeling better today.

April’s last blog post..Happy Valentine’s Day

February 15, 2008 at 8:41 am
  • Wow! I’ve heard that’s bad, but never experienced it for myself. I’m gonna jot down that Nature’s Miracle stuff, since apparently pet stains and me have a lasting relationship.

Hyphen Mama’s last blog post..Notice to the Pets

February 15, 2008 at 11:11 am
  • Good to know! Not that I have any urine stains to clean up. If there were urine stains, the person making them would be cleaning them up.

witchypoo’s last blog post..Life is But a Dream

February 15, 2008 at 11:16 am
  • Wow – good thing you only used a tiny amount! Yikes. That is one rule you are likely to remember from now on though (and so will I, thanks to you!). 😉 Hope you are feeling better.

teeni’s last blog post..My Technical Romance

February 15, 2008 at 12:35 pm
  • Wow, thanks for the tip!

Janelle’s last blog post..How Many Lawyers Does It Take….?

February 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm
  • Chelsea

Hey i had a bunny it was a dwarf bunny so cute his name was tigger and he died augest 24th 2005 he lived for only 5 months how STUPID i was so upset he died in my arms like can you imagine so three years later i still think about tigger and still are really upset and thinking about getting another bunny except not a dwarf. My mom said no! but i think i can talk her into it so anyways heres the point i was a white rabbit like a girl white rabbit this time but i was wondering do they get pee stains on there fur?

March 25, 2008 at 3:52 pm
  • Laurie

By chance I happened across a natural miracle for removing bunny pee stains from carpet, walls, you name it. At the same time it neutralizes the smell and disinfects. Vinegar. Simple white vinegar. I was cleaning my bunny cage and spilled some on the carpet and like a miracle the pee stains were gone! I just use a squirt bottle, squirt the spots and it does the rest. No need to blot it, wipe it, or anything on the carpet.

April 22, 2008 at 8:31 pm
  • haley

Hi Talina!
    Actually, I have been raissing rabbits for about six years now and the only bedding I use is pine. Cedar shavings is actually the bedding that kills them. Pine is just fine, although some rabbits have bad allergies, like humans. so they may cough and sneeze but they wont die from it. You should switch their bedding right away to a pellet bedding if thats the problem, but i have never had a rabbit die from pine bedding.

August 30, 2008 at 12:02 pm
  • This is the great blog, I’m reading them for a while, thanks for the new posts!

February 10, 2011 at 4:52 am